Thursday, September 1, 2011

8 hours

Yesterday I decided to join my friend Connie (and many of her friends too) in a computer/phone fast.  So from 8am-4pm I shut off the laptop, turned off the phone, and hid the iPad.   But, lucky you – I took notes! 

7:58 am – If I hurry I can play Words With Friends before 8:00!

8:00 am – Go time!  Wish it wasn’t grey and raining today….

8:01 am – I suppose I could go shower…..

8:18 am – Just tried to check my phone and turned it on accidentally – OOPS.  Forgot already! 

8:19 am – Powered phone back off and hid it in a basket.

9:00 am – Watching a movie with the kids.  Rather they are watching “Tom and Jerry and the Wizard of Oz” and I am watching “Earthlings” on my iPod touch but we are all in the same room together. 

10:30  am– Snack time.  (Is this exciting stuff or what?)

11:00 am – Heading outside to play.  Still grey and chilly but no longer raining.

IMG_8810_edited-1

IMG_8822_edited-1

11:30 am (I think….I want to see what time it is but I don’t have my phone and I’m outside!).  Letting Eli take a picture of me:

IMG_8813_edited-1

(Nope….still haven’t showered).

12:05 pm – Halfway there.  Lunch time!

1:03 pm – Thinking about what to make for dinner but don’t want to go to the store (because then I’d have to shower).  Kids are playing at the table. 

1:30 pm – Cleaning out fridge.  Kids still playing and getting along (probably because they aren’t playing together). 

2:00 pm – Cleaning out a couple handbags and my wallet and switching to a different bag/wallet.

2:30 pm – Playing Lego with the kids. 

2:35 pm – Kids fighting over Legos. Done with that!

3:00 pm – Just going to snuggle on the bed with the kids and watch a show or two. 

3:15 pm – “Mom, stop snoring!”. 

3:23 pm – “Mom, you’re snoring again!”.

3:40 pm – “MOM!”. 

(In my defense I was really really sleepy.  Normally I don’t snore at all, right honey????????).  Smile 

4:06 pm – Hey!  I can turn my phone back on now. 

4:10 pm – Wow, the world didn’t fall apart.  Nobody texted me.  No major emails to report.  And I never did take that shower. 

The sun came out after that so the kids and I went out to play some more.  Dad came home and the kids rode bikes while I finished up dinner (vegan fried rice and fruit smoothies). 

Good day. 

Rainy.

Lazy.

But good. 

Oh – and I pretty much get to spend the entire weekend offline anyways as we will be at my Grandma’s and she doesn’t have internet access. 

The phone will still work though.  Smile 

Expecting fun and lots of sun this weekend.  Mickey is doing his race on Saturday (The Titanium Man Olympic Triathlon in Kennewick, WA). 

post signature

16 comments:

Bliss said...

I had a involuntary no computer time last weekend at the dog show (hotel computer was just to slow)and didn't miss it at all, read a couple of books. But I would miss it if it was more then a few days.

Unknown said...

That is fantastic! I don't know if I could go a whole day without my phone. Maybe on the weekend : ) I can't believe how much I rely on it.

The kids are so cute.

Unknown said...

I'm a new follower!

I did this too. It was kind of nice to not be a slave to my phone.

Oh, and you live in the Ham!!!!! I went to Western. Met my hubby there! Well, he was from Ferndale. Anyway, I'm jealous. I so want to move back to B'ham! I miss it there!!

HeatherOz said...

I'm so glad you survived! LOL
I should try this!
I'll take some of your rain and cool weather! PLEASE!!

Connie said...

You were busy! Except for the nap.

I should have napped. Who am I kidding. I don't nap.

Liz Mays said...

If I try to watch a movie and sit still like that, I'll almost always fall asleep. I can't blame you! I also can't blame you for not wanting to go to the store and shower. :)

Annie said...

Hey, you did it!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

TUTU said...

Love the pics, especially the one of Hannah! But hmmmm.. I heard you mention an IPAD Touch in there somewhere. Didn't that count?

Just askin!

Trac~ said...

Have a great weekend my friend! Miss ya and hope to catch up soon! :) xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I took a week off from Facebook. That counts for something, right? A day away from my iPhone? I just don't know that I could do it.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Glad you made it through! I'm looking forward to being unplugged this weekend, at least through part of it. :)
I love your pictures! The one of your daughter winking is adorable!!!

Amy said...

Congrats you did it.. Yeah.. I have not showered yet today either...

Happy Labor Day..

Stephanie said...

That actually sounds like a really good day :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I love getting a break from technology!

Roxy said...

Sounds like a PERFECTLY GREAT day!!
Assuming you had a sweat session before 8am and that' s why you needed the shower...lol.
Thinking I need to challenge myself for a day like that...the phone part will be HARD to let go...but maybe FREEING!!!
hoping you are well...the rice sounds yummy

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Man I'm standing up giving you a hand I don't think I could do it I'd go all OCD crazy with out the phone one and well my boss would fire me if I wasn't online ... lol