Thursday, May 28, 2009

scare tactics

It all starts innocently enough.

I might be walking along, minding my own business, when I see the signs all around me:

“This is the perfect opportunity to scare somebody.”

And by somebody I mean my husband. It’s not like I get these impulses in public, ready to pounce on the next unsuspecting shopper who dares enter the toiletry aisle I happen to be loitering in at Target.

That would be wrong. And a little mental. So cross “scare stranger in public places” off the list.

And I probably certainly won’t try to scare my children.

So, my husband it is.

Take this weekend for example.

I was walking downstairs, early in the morning, with absolutely NO intention of doing anything other than heading towards the coffee.

But, ahead of me, I saw it.

The perfect opportunity.

My husband had gone outside to get the paper.

He left the front door open.

I was pretty sure he was unaware I had gotten up and was headed downstairs.

So, without thinking much about the potential consequences, I hop behind the front door, waiting for his return.

Then, as he comes back inside, I pop out, yelling the classic and very important scaring line of “BOO!”.

Nope, he didn’t know I was up.

The look on his face was priceless.

I scared him, and I scared him good.

Now, I am no fool. I do not pretend to presume that I can scare somebody like that (and by “somebody” I mean my husband) without anticipating some sort of retaliation.

And I HATE to be scared. Just hate it.

So, for days afterward I will be “on the prowl”. Seeing a partially open door and wondering who (and by who I mean my husband) might be lurking behind, waiting for revenge.

And retaliate he does.

And yet, even armed with the knowledge that if I simply stopped scaring him I could probably rest easy, I just can’t resist these “opportunities” when they are so blatantly there for the taking.

But no one can charge me with pre-meditated scaring.

It all starts innocently enough….

post signature

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the same way! And I love scaring the kids I nanny for...the look on their face...priceless!

Erin said...

LOL! That is GREAT!!!!
I accidentally scared MYSELF yesterday while doing laundry, I went in to our master bath to throw something away and my husband happened to be in there! TMI! LOL! but it scared the crud out of me!

Anonymous said...

LOL that is funny! I hate being scared also but love scaring people. Again the looks on the persons face who gets scared is just great!

Brittany and Charlie-Social Butterfly said...

That is funny! I admit I like to do that also to my husband. It is the best:)

Three Js said...

You'd better be on your A-game looking out! :-)

Unknown said...

the things we think of just for some good laughs...until it happens to us! Not so funny after that, ha? LOL

what would those men do without us?

valentine said...

that is so funny! i would hate the suspense of waiting for the retaliation.....

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I would be on pins and needles waiting for the payback!

I love to give my husband a good scare too... I got him one day while he was in the shower and he didn't realize that I had already made it home from the grocery store!

Roxy said...

FUN FUN FUN! I love to do that...but like you hate the return effect!
Hoping all is well with you!

The Blonde Duck said...

LOL! You're in for it now!

Ally said...

My husband loves to scare me, I try to get him back but its hard to scare him!

Found your blog through Kelly's Korner. Your kids are so cute! =)

Tabitha Blue said...

Haha, too funny... nothing like a little scare fun to spice things up!!!

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com

wife.mom.nurse said...

I totally hate being scared...especially that kind of, jump out of your skin, spine tingling scare

But, who can resist!

:)

Jenn said...

Sounds like my hubby! He loves to try to scare me...and even the kids! Shameful isn't it? ;)

Optimistic Pessimist said...

OMG that's hysterical. I just did that to my BF about a month ago. I hid behind the shower curtain and got him when he walked into the bathroom. I've been waiting for his revenge...it's not going to be pretty.

A Psych Mommy said...

I totally used to do the whole scare thing with my brother--I think I would have a heart attack now if my husband tried to scare me!

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com said...

I love this!

I'm the same way. Sometimes those opportunities, man, they're just TOO GOOD to resist!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I hate to get a scare!

Megan said...

LOL That's hilarious! heehee

Lauren From Texas said...

how cute are you! I love scaring my hubby too :) Thanks for stopping by my blog - hope you stop by again soon!

Gigi said...

Happy Saturday Sharefest!

I must admit, I am extraordinarily easy to scare. Beloved loves to scare people. He made the mistake of scaring me only once. We'll just leave it at that. ;)